Take yourself off the beaten track
Fancy something a little different? Try a few of these nearby activities:
- In a truly unique setting, Eagle Rock Equestrian Centre is one of Ireland's most unique equestrian centres. AIRE approved and facilitating riders of all standards, the centre provides magical horse treks on Derrynane beach. This one is not to be missed. Rates are from €35 per person per hour.
- This is an activity for guests to organise yourselves - a hot chocolate, a blanket and a space on the deck... once the sun goes down, take time to appreciate Scart House's location, smack-bang inside the Kerry International Dark Sky Reserve (the only gold tier reserve in the Northern Hemisphere). It is also the only 'living' reserve where locals live and work under a blanket of stars! Try your hand at photography or lie back and simply wonder... 'what's out there'.
- Get in touch with Mo at Skellig Coast Kitchen to learn Heritage Baking (Irish scones or brown soda bread). A really different experience in a beautiful Irish seaside home. €45pp for two hours.
- Atlantic Irish Seaweed has gone from strength-to-strength since John and Kerryann Fitzgerald began running seaweed discovery courses and workshops since 2009. Take one of their Seaweed Discover Workshops foraging the local foreshore (check the website for dates) or arrange a bespoke seaweed experience - booking required.
- Julie at Green Blue Yoga runs classes at the Caherdaniel Hall and also, when the weather suits, on Derrynane Beach (a wonderful experience).
- Blueberry Hill Farm is a little gem just outside Sneem where you can try your hand at all kinds of traditional crafts; blacksmithing, woodturning, candle making or basket weaving. Check the website for details or give them a call on +353 873647371.
- Take a drive west on the Ring of Kerry to Kells Bay Gardens (50km/30 miles). Known at the 'Jewel on the Ring' the garden is a 17-hectare wonderland of sub-tropical plants overlooking the dramatic Dingle Bay. Open from 9am to 9pm (7pm in the off-season), it is a nature-lovers paradise. €8 per person. Try a treat at the Delligeenagh River Café or book dinner (or takeaway) at their Sala Thai restaurant.
- Bring your snorkels and flippers (or hire them at Derrynane Seasports - ask for daily/weekly rates) and walk from Scart House to Silver Strand (300m) to snorkel around the rocks (followed by a sauna in the Scart House master bathroom on your return!). Alternatively, for a gentle dip, the afternoons at White Strand (500m) are locally renowned - wait until the tide comes up over the sun-warmed sand for a special treat.
- For something really a little different, have a look at the Ring of Kerry Falconry Experience Facebook page in Sneem (14km/8.5 miles) - you never know what they've got going on and a visit to learn about their birds (and their place in Kerry's nature) is unforgettable.
- If you fancy learning how to shoot a shotgun (at clay targets!) then why not tack a visit to Irish Shooting Sports (100km/60 miles) onto a trip to Killarney. The range is open on Wednesday afternoons/evenings and Saturday afternoons. All equipment is provided but pre-booking is essential (call +353 6846116). Liam, Johnny and Denis will look after you!
- For Parkrun enthusiasts, our closest Parkrun is at Killarney House, 9.30am each Saturday morning. You know the drill: weekly, free, 5km!